Designing an African Mask
- This step by step lesson will help you to create an African tribal mask as a simple paper collage.
- Our lesson is presented in easy to follow steps which guide you through the process of creating a mask design like the one above.
What you will learn
- Basic collage techniques.
- How to simplify and stylize shapes.
- The expressive power of simple shapes.
- The balance and interaction of positive and negative shapes.
- The use of symmetry in design.
- The effects of color, pattern and texture on your design.
Adapting the lesson
- You can customize the way that your mask design will look by using different materials.
- Gold and silver metallic card is used in the design above and the result changes from an African to a sci-fi vibe.
- You can adapt the color, pattern and texture of your mask to enhance its expressive power and visual impact.