Famous Drawings and Paintings of Animals
PABLO PICASSO (1881-1973)
'Bull', 1945 (a series of eleven lithographs)
- Throughout history artists have always created drawings and paintings of animals.
- Stone Age men decorated their caves with the images of the animals that they hunted for food.
- The Ancient Egyptian artists depicted many of their gods with the heads of animals.
- Examples of tribal art from every continent combine animal and human features to symbolise man's bond with his natural environment.
- In the Middle Ages, artists used mythical beasts to decorate medieval manuscripts while commonplace creatures often took on secret symbolic associations.
- In the 17th century art, hunting scenes illustrating dramatic life and death struggles between man and beast, became a popular subject.
- 18th century artists chose to celebrate the natural beauty and majestic power of animals in their natural habitats.
- In the 19th century, Victorian artists painted sentimental pictures of their domestic pets and livestock.
- The artists of the 20th century explored the entire range of animal genres and invented a few more of their own.