African Mask Lesson Step 1 - Art Materials
This page intoduces the materials you need to create an African tribal mask as a simple paper collage.
The materials you need for this lesson:
- To begin with you need two similar sized sheets of thick paper or card, one light in tone, the other dark.
- The contrasting tones will be used to create a balance of positive and negative features in the design.
- You will also need a pencil, scissors or craft knife, and some glue.
Follow these instructions to arrange the layout of your design:
- Fold the light sheet in half down its vertical length and cut along the crease.
- This should give you two equal halves.
- Take one of the light halves and place it over the dark sheet as in our example above, creating one half dark and one half light.
- Arrange these sheets in portrait format.